Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sure I Love a Happy Ending, But..., Or Why I Enjoy Believing in My Books


I really love a good Contemporary Realistic Fiction read, particularly when it doesn't overdo the stereotypical "realistic" elements that have come to dominate our world today (think texting). Some of this is to be expected, certainly, given that our society is overrun with technology and the like, but I'm also very pleased when I'm reading a book - even one set in modern times - that gives me a bit of hope that it may become timeless. Let's face it. Nowadays you're lucky to look at a young adult or teen section in a library or bookstore and not be hit over the head with vampires or princesses. I myself do enjoy said vampires and princesses, but it's also nice to come out of the fantasy world from time to time and get comfy with a book that's a bit more relateable. I also love a good happy ending to a story, but let's face it, life doesn't always turn out the way we would like. I state this because, although closure is pretty important at the end of a story, I wish that authors wouldn't always feel that they have to give everyone the happy ending the reader is expecting.

Case in point: The Mother-Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel Frederick. This book did a fantastic job of setting up four very different, and very interesting, preteen characters who are all struggling with various issues and who come together through the aid of a book club set up by their mothers. I honestly didn't expect to love this book, but as I read, I felt the author was doing such a fabulous job of painting a picture of what's very realistic with preteen/teen girls today: they are complicated, they are bitchy, they are insecure, and they are looking for love and friendship despite the fact that they each feel they have nothing in common with the others. Sure, it's been a few year since I was of the middle school set myself, but these themes rang true back then, and I'm positive they ring true today, albeit with far more texting. I was really engrossed by this book....and then I came to the ending.


I would have categorized this book as Comtemporary Realistic Fiction...until I reached the last several chapters. Without risking spoilers here, I will simply say that while I was thoroughly and somewhat unexpectedly enjoying this book, the final chapters were a complete joke. Everything worked out in a very cookie-cutter manner, which was a huge disappointment after a very relate-able story up to that point. I love a happy ending just as much as the next gal, but this was a bit much. Although I still think I will read the next installments of this series, it will take me a bit to get over the really ridiculous ending.


That being said, I do enjoy believing in the books that I read, CRF or otherwise. I am looking forward to continuing with this series; I just wonder what the author has in store with all of the complicated happy endings she provided at the end of the first installment. Maybe I'm just being overly picky here, but the end of this book really bummed me out. Of course, I still encourage people to read the book and decide for themselves and I have high hopes that all will be resolved in the end. For now, though, I may as well pick up Potter or Twilight, because I really felt that The Mother-Daughter Book Club is living in the fantasy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment