Saturday, July 11, 2009

Fabulous Read Alouds, Or Why Being a Teacher Rocks!

I am often asked how/why I read as many books as I do. I'm beyond surprise when the answer to the question is often met with a chuckle and the words, "Oh, I see. You read kid's books" or something similar and equally snarky. Yes, I read kid's books. And guess what? They are some of the most deep, emotionally effecting, and certainly entertaining books out there. To all the eye rollers of the world, I challenge you to try it. I dare you to read a quality children's book and walk away without some sort of positive impression. Go on. Just try it.

I often have to point out to these stinkers that I read a lot both personally and professionally. I am a teacher by trade and I have certainly made it my mission to expose kids to a variety of quality literature in all different shapes, sizes, genres, styles, ups, downs, ins, outs...well, you get the picture. I thought for the sake of posterity, I would take a bit of time to list here some of our favorites from the last two school years.

Owl Babies - Martin Waddell
Bridget and the Moose Brothers - Pija Lindenbaum
The Big Orange Splot - Daniel Manus Pinkwater
Fancy Nancy - Jane O'Connor
Alice the Fairy - David Shannon
Baby Brains - Simon James (and subsequent sequels)
Dear Mr. Blueberry - Simon James
Burger Boy - Alan Durant
Chickens to the Rescue - John Himmelman
Imogene's Antlers - David Small
Little Pea - Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Snip Snap! What's That? - Mara Bergman
Strega Nona - Tomie dePaola
My Father the Dog - Elizabeth Bluemle
Martha Speaks - Susan Meddaugh
19 Girls and Me - Darcy Pattison
When Dinosaurs Came with Everything - Elise Broach
Lost and Found - Oliver Jeffers
The Incredible Book Eating Boy - Oliver Jeffers
Gator - Randy Cecil
Duck - Randy Cecil
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day - Judith Viorst
Miss Nelson is Missing! - Harry Allard (and subsequent sequels)
I'd Really Like to Eat a Child - Sylviane Donnio
The Fantastic Mr. Wani - Kanako Usui

Of course, this list could continue on for days and days, which I have to admit is a point of pride for me. I'm really pleased that kids leave my classroom discussing books...and begging their parents for a trip to the library or bookstore!

What are your favorite titles to share with kids?

5 comments:

  1. I loved OWL BABIES! :) Miss those days with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I want my mommy!" said Bill.

    That shouted refrain gets stuck in my head like a bad 80's song. Only sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Imogene's Antler's!

    Read to my daughters:
    "Warrior" series Erin Hunter
    "Harry Potter" series JK Rowling
    Little House series Laura Ingalls
    "Ralph S. Mouse" Beverly Cleary
    "Tale of Despereaux" Kare DeCamillo

    Read to my 6th graders:
    "Schooled" Gordon Korman
    "To Kill a Mockingbird" Harper Lee
    "Baby" Patricia MacLachlan
    "Tuck Everlasting" Natalie Babbitt
    "Island of the Blue Dolphins" Scott O'Dell

    And so many more....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan-

    I ADORED 'Schooled'! Put me in the mind of 'Stargirl' but so much better! As you can see from my list, I mostly read picture books (I teach Kindergarten) but we did listen to Ivy and Bean and Clementine during rest time. They loved them both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Star Girl yet. My daughter read it last year 7th grade. In her AP English they read "The Secret Life of Bees". I was a little concerned it might be too much so I read it along with her an it was fine, really a good read. We watched the movie together too.

    I admire anyone who teaches Kindergarten or 1st grade. I subbed 1st once before I was certified an I loved it but they sucked me dry!

    ReplyDelete