Monday, August 24, 2009

Let Me Pause to Catch My Breath, Or Why Pamela Zagarenski is my New Favorite Illustrator


I just love it when I find a book accidentally and it ends up taking my breath away. Such was the case with Joyce Sidman and Pamela Zagarenski's gorgeous new book Red Sings from Treetops: a year in colors. Observe:

Fall smells
Purple:
old leaves, crushed berries,
squishy plums with worms in them.
Purple: the smell
of all things
mixed together.

Even without the amazing imagery that goes along with it, can't you just taste the purple on the tip of your tongue? This little gem of a book goes through each season just as vividly as the purple autumn listed above. Honestly, this book is a sensory experience. It really has been a while since a picture book has really taken my breath away, but I assure, I was panting a bit at the end of this one. And to think, I requested it from the library by accident! What a lovely act of serendipity.


Orange ripens in
full, heavy moons,
thick with pulp and seed.
Orange flickers,
all smoke and candles.
Orange eyes.
Orange cheeks.
Orange teeth.

To be fair, I absolutely adore autumn, so this spread is by far my favorite. I cannot implore you enough: CHECK OUT THIS BOOK! It will put you in a fantastic mood, no matter what your favorite season.

No comments:

Post a Comment